[ipxe-devel] Choosing Output Channels dynamicly? [ was Re: making ipxe silent]

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Sat Jan 11 13:28:47 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:08:36AM +0100, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 10/01/14 13:37, Oliver Rath wrote:
> >It is possible, to select, which output channel is taken? I assume not
> >yet, but this seems also useful (like stderr & stdout in linux).
> >
> >If not, I could imagine three ways to do it:
> >
> ><snip>
>
> The "console" command provides a generic entry point for configuring
> consoles.  You could, for example, add an option to enable/disable
> consoles via the existing console->disabled field, or to alter the
> console usage via the existing console->usage field.

Looks good. I need to enable/disable serial consoles.
When serial console is enabled on some hardware, VGA console is too slow.
Disabling serial console will increase speed of using menus.
Also ability to select which serial console should be used can be helpful.
I can detect/switch them from script, if ability to enable/disable will be
available.

					SAL