[ipxe-devel] Choosing Output Channels dynamicly? [ was Re: making ipxe silent]

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Fri Jan 10 12:37:55 UTC 2014

Hi Robin,
Hi List,

enabling syslog seems working well. Particularly for debugging and
logging purposes it is useful.

It is possible, to select, which output channel is taken? I assume not
yet, but this seems also useful (like stderr & stdout in linux).

If not, I could imagine three ways to do it:

 1. Setting a default channel while compiling, but allow sending to a
    different channel via (i.e.)
    echo ${mac:hexhyp} >CONSOLE
    echo ${mac:hexhyp} >SYSLOGS
 2. Changing the default channel via i.e. an "channel" command
    echo ${mac:hexhyp}
    set channel SYSLOGS
    echo ${mac:hexhyp}
    set channel CONSOLE
    # it could make sense setting multiple channels:
    set channel CONSOLE,SYSLOG
 3. Setting a boolean Variable for which sending channels are enabled:
    set CONSOLE_OUTPUT on
    set SYSLOGS_OUTPUT off

Regards
Oliver