[ipxe-devel] quick ipxe question

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 15:57:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:11 AM, ghf <ghf at cox.net> wrote:

> I have a strange network situation (I think) while running VirtualBox.
>

> The situation is that this is my home network.  I just moved and AT&T
> installed a new high speed modem.  Unfortuantely, it provide DHCP (which my
> u-verse box needs) but is broadcasting BOOTP support.  Which it doesn’t.
> My local network is on an ASUS router which provides network spanning,
> which in most cases allows my local systems which are closer to the switch,
> to respond to the DHCP broadcast first, and all is right with the world.
> It’s primarily Linux with some Windows, but the server is a Linux
> cobbler/tftpboot service.
>

> I actually got this to work once months ago, by manually configuring the
> ipxe parameters to hit the correct DHCP and next-server.  Unfortuantely, I
> cannot locate the notes.
>

> The problem is with “filename”.  I am trying to use the default menu.c32,
> but by default it is looking for hostname.pxe.  I tried overriding it with
> “pxelinux.cfg/default”, it located the file but merely changed the VM state
> from “RUNNING” to “GURU_MEDITATION”.  Which is funny, but not terribly
> enlightening (if I may extend the pun).
>

> Suggestions or help would be appreciated.

pxelinux and it's menu.c32 is part of syslinux - not iPXE.
With iPXE you could provide your own start script http://ipxe.org/embed
pointing to your ipxe scripts, or even setting next-server and filename
parameters and then chaining to pxelinux.0
here is a copy from one of my scripts

imgfree
set netX/next-server ${wds}
set dhcp-server ${wds}
set 208:hex f1:00:74:7e
set 210:string Boot\${warch}\
set 209:string default
chain ${tftproot}/pxelinux.0

I think it is also possible to modify options in pxelinux.0 but check the
syslinux wiki for that.

Regards,
Christian