[ipxe-devel] pxe - ipxe compatibility issue

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Fri Aug 29 07:13:30 UTC 2014

On Jun 21, 2014, at 2:37 PM, Daniel Braniss <danny at cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2014, at 1:38 PM, Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> wrote:
>
>> On 21/06/14 09:18, Daniel Braniss wrote:
>>> the error I get is:
>>> 	ipxe.org/063760
>>
>> That error indicates that the packet could not be sent immediately because the destination has not yet been resolved via ARP.  As long as you keep polling (via PXENV_UDP_READ), the packet will get transmitted as soon as the ARP reply arrives.
>
> it tries for over 2 minutes with no response since the write fails.
>
> no arp request is going out!, I’m sniffing the net. just a reminder, the link is good, undionly gets loaded via tftp,
> the ipxe script as well, dhcp request/acks too.

this is the scenario:
	client loads undionly,exe via PXE
	client now runs iPXE
	clients receives - via dhcp - file to load, pxeboot (freebsd)
	pxeboot runs, using iPXE to load kernel
		if the server is NOT on the same network, all is ok.
			the dhcpd is also on a different network.
		but if both client and server are on the SAME network,
		the ARP request is needed but is never sent! and now we are stuck.

so, is there anything else I can do to resolve this issue?