[ipxe-devel] boot.wim overlay?

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Thu Aug 14 08:33:53 UTC 2014

Hi Chandan!

Am 14.08.2014 um 03:02 schrieb Chandan:
> Oliver Rath <rath at ...> writes:
>

>> Hi list,
>>
>> taken from the howto
>> http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe#windows_assessment_and_deployment_toolkit_adk
>> Here my question. Could it be possible to load an additional file (i.e.
>> boot-enhancements.wim), which is also extracted into the ramdisk as
>> overlay? So the boot.wim-system could be customized dynamicly very easy.
>> I.e.:

> Hi Oliver
>
> Were you able to find answer to question below or were able to define the
> solution? I also have similar requirements and would be interested to know
> what you discovered about it.

Unfortunatly i wasnt able to use a kind of overlay mechanism. This seems
only possible with initramfs-files (where it works fine). The problem
is, that the loaded wim-file is then extracted to a ramdisk, which is
started as boot-device. If I wanted to use i.e. a second wim-file as
overlay, this has to be extracted "over"  the first file, which didnt
work here.

*Maybe* it is possible to extract a second wim-file near the first ono
as i.e. Y: device, but i wasnt able to realize this.

My Solution I now use is to include a part of the the needed files via
wimmount (you can also use dism) before i boot it. This is needed if
haven't the right network-drivers at boottime.

For other files I attach a network device with i.e.

net use K: \\myserver\mydir /user:myuser mypass

inside of my wimboot-script.

What is your usecase? For what requirements do you need it?

Hth,
Oliver