[ipxe-devel] serial arrow keys broken

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Tue Apr 22 23:40:02 UTC 2014

On 23/04/14 00:13, Peter Pickford wrote:
> This is what I get on kvm with serial console
>
> http://pastie.org/9101958
>
> <snip>
>
> vm has no video drivers and uses controller virtio  serial and serial 1
> as primary console
>
> ipxe is loaded via gpxe from tftp ipxe.pxe
>
> as you can see double chars

You have serial console output enabled in the BIOS.  Your serial port
output includes lines such as

   Booting from Hard Disk...
   Boot failed: not a bootable disk

which are definitely coming from the BIOS, rather than from iPXE.  When
iPXE starts up, each character gets written twice: once from the BIOS's
console output and once from iPXE's own serial output.

Since you have serial console output enabled in the BIOS anyway, you
could just disable iPXE's serial console support and you would still see
output on the serial port.