[ipxe-devel] Hang during 'establishing link' using ASIX USB dongle and undi driver

Mike Harris mwharris at google.com
Mon Apr 14 23:08:07 UTC 2014

Hi, I was in IRC earlier discussing this, but we figured the mailing list
would be better.

I'm trying to get a ASIX USB dongle booting with iPXE using chainloading
and the UNDI drivers. It's hanging during the 'Establishing link' step.
This is on a Lenovo X1 Carbon, an ultrabook with no onboard NIC, and this
device is the only one Lenovo supports for PXE booting, going so far as to
blacklist other USB device IDs in the BIOS.

I've attached two screenshots, one with DEBUG=undinet:15 and one without.
For some reason, when I enable debugging, the hang happens at a slightly
earlier spot (during 'Enumerating devices'). Both were built with the same
embedded script, which I've attached as 'debug.ipxe'. I think the hang is
in the 'dhcp' line. Initially the link lights on the device are off, and
iPXE prints 'Establishing link', which a dot every few seconds. The link
lights turn on, and the iPXE dots stop. Maybe a bug in the return from the
USB device's ROM?

Let me know what else you need, and thanks for the help.

-mike