[ipxe-devel] ipxe-boot from linux directly possible?

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Thu Sep 12 16:58:10 UTC 2013

On 12 September 2013 17:51, Ján ONDREJ (SAL) <ondrejj at salstar.sk> wrote:

> May be he can use "kexec" to load an ipxe.lkrn file as linux kernel.
>  Then his "tiny linux" will be killed, but ipxe will be started.
> Also it's possible in linux to create a custom ipxe.lkrn, where it's
> possible to update linked script, which can do what is required.

That would work for Linux, sure. If he's wanting to do "sanboot" though,
I'm not sure if that method would work. Perhaps it could chainload through
ipxe again as you suggest -- you'd have to build into that intermediate
system some form of "safe shutdown" that called kexec as its last dying
gasp, but that's not out the realms of possibility.

It's starting to sound more and more like a re-invention of EFI though ;)