[ipxe-devel] iPXE using Wimboot with SCCM 2012 failing to run TS

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 15:52:38 UTC 2013

On 09/08/13 23:04, Doose, Michael wrote:
> Been playing with iPXE and wimboot that past couple days and I have the
> SCCM 2012 boot disk booting up. However no task sequences kick off
> successfully using this boot environment, whereby they work fine off CD
> or USB.
>
> I followed the http://ipxe.org/howto/sccm exactly.
>
> It looks like Microsoft is making a call that isn’t compatible with
> wimboot, maybe? Using ISO download works but doesn’t seem to be
> compatible with most Lenovo Notebooks (it hangs on boot up with these
> systems, eg T420).
>
> Here is a snippet of the log file and the offending error:
>
> <snip>

I can't immediately see a problem.  SCCM is expected to get confused by
wimboot, since it's not a PXE boot and the (emulated) hard disk is no
longer visible once WinPE starts up; this is what causes the "Failed to
find the source drive where WinPE was booted from" and similar messages.
  The workaround given on http://ipxe.org/howto/sccm (creating
bootstrap.vbs and winpeshl.ini) should work around this.

It's possible that creating fake registry keys indicating a PXE boot
would work around the later problem that you are seeing.  The
bootstrap.vbs script seems to be the obvious place to do this.  I don't
know off-hand precisely which keys are required, but it should be viable
to either search online or experiment with a non-wimboot PXE boot of
SCCM to find the answer.