[ipxe-devel] Telling IPXE to use a particular DHCP offer

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 15:36:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Robin Smidsrød <robin at smidsrod.no> wrote:
> On 10.10.2013 14:36, Devavrat Mittal wrote:
>> If there are multiple PXE/ DHCP servers in a subnet and IPXE might get
>> more than one DHCP offer, how can I tell IPXE to use/ accept a
>> particular DHCP offer?
>>
>> Essentially, suppose that I know the IP address of my preferred DHCP
>> server beforehand.
>> Then, can I make IPXE accept the DHCP offer from that DHCP server (based
>> on some identity of the DHCP server, such as an IP address) and ignore
>> all other offers?
>
> There was a similar thread on this mailing-list just a few days ago. I
> suggest you check the archives for the responses in that one.
>
> Short answer is: no
>
> -- Robin

Hrmmph... I recall being under the impression (albeit this was some
years ago) that it was possible to use the DHCP_EB_PRIORITY
encapsulated option[1] to pull this off.

Granted, I suspect that if such a thing were the case, it would have
come up in the previous thread.  IIRC the DHCP spec calls for clients
to accept the first offer they get and decline all others, so it would
make sense that this particular option wouldn't be able to have any
effect upon the differentiation required here.

Cheers,
Andrew

[1]: http://dox.ipxe.org/dhcp_8h_source.html#l00308 (scroll up for the
description).