[ipxe-devel] unstable http downloads

Thomas Mieslinger miesi at pc-h.de
Fri Nov 29 15:20:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have VMware VMs running on E5-2650 iron, 10g connected. The VM I want
to install has an emulated e1000 chip which fist runs the stock vmware
PXE ROM, then pxelinux 4.03 and then finally ipxe.lkrn.

The http Server is a centos 6.4 with apache httpd-2.2.15-29 serving files.

Downloads initiated by ipxe a very unstable. Often the vmlinuz or
initrd.img file downloads stuck at 43% or so.

The http servers tcp tuning values (tcp_wmem et al.) are centos stock
configuration.

How can I debug http downloading? Are there any recommendations like
"use cubic congestion control on server side"? Should I try to increase
the compiled in tcp receive buffer?

Thanks for your insight.

Thomas