[ipxe-devel] Link detection on Atheros AR8132

Sven Dreyer sven at dreyer-net.de
Mon Nov 11 13:33:11 UTC 2013

Hi list,

I've got a problem with the built-in LAN connection of a Asus EeePC 1005 PE.

I use Linux kernel 3.5 on the EeePC. When plugging a cable in, the link
LED on the switch goes on after about half a second, DHCP starts and the
link is usable.

lspci reports the chip as:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)

The problem now is: using iPXE, it does not detect the link correctly.
When iPXE says "Link:up", the link LED on the switch is still off. It
takes another 13 seconds until it goes on. During this time, iPXE runs
into a DHCP timeout, I think.

Find attached two screenshots built with "DEBUG=undionly:3,undinet:3".

I use ipxe.kpxe (c3d1), which does not have a native driver and falls
back to UNDI, if I got it right. But the problem is not related any
specific version of iPXE.

My workaround up to now was: wait until the iPXE banner appears, press
"Pause", watch the switch until the light goes on, and press space to
end pausing. Then everything works okay.

Is there anything I could do to track down the problem? Further debug
options that make sense?

Thanks and best regards,
Sven