[ipxe-devel] Using iPXE to boot from CD

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Wed May 29 12:29:38 UTC 2013

On 28.05.2013 21:34, Gray, Michael E. wrote:

> I have a PXE boot preset on my network to connect to 2x thin client.
>
> I have been successful in creating an ISO that will attach to a pre set
> SAN which is unformatted.  I would like after the connection, for the ISO
> to boot from the second CD DRIVE, so I can load an operating system.
>
> I am using the sanhook command and the sanboot command  to do this.
>
> Is there a way to say exit and boot from IDE2, ??  Thank you.

Yes, Set your BIOS boot order to network first, then CD, and when you
have used sanhook to "mount" the iscsi volumne, just type "exit"
(without quotes) to continue in the BIOS boot process.

You might find the information at http://networkboot.org/fundamentals/
of interest to understand things better.

Be aware that some BIOSes doesn't like this approach, and might require
various workarounds.

-- Robin