[ipxe-devel] iPXE help

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Thu May 16 12:00:17 UTC 2013

On 16.05.2013 13:41, Christian Helmuth wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:37:58AM +0200, Robin Smidsrød wrote:
>> Or you can use http://rom-o-matic.eu/, and paste the above script into
>> the "embedded script" text area and you should be ready to go. You'll of
>> course need to write the ipxe.usb file directly to a USB stick, which is
>> a bit tricky to do in Windows. I've used dd for windows, found at
>> http://www.chrysocome.net/dd, but it is a bit tricky to use. Make sure
>> you use the right device path, or you might accidentally overwrite a
>> drive you care about.
>
> Couldn't this gap be easily filled with a tool like
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ which originated
> from Ubuntu. Other distros might have similar tools.

Indeed it works too. I always forget about that one...

The nice thing about that tool is that it seems to only list removable
devices, which should limit the chance of doing something really bad. I
do tend to check the drive manager and removable storage tray icon
before I use these tools, though. I just verified that win32diskimager
is indeed capable of writing ipxe.usb to a tiny 32MB USB stick I have
lying around. For iPXE testing, it is just about the right size. :)

-- Robin