[ipxe-devel] Image Load is gone?

Duane Voth duanev at gmail.com
Thu May 2 22:14:47 UTC 2013

I went back to a (much) older version of ipxe in the interim, but have now
run into a new yet possibly related issue.  I've been playing with the OVMF
environment (edk2 + qemu + kvm on linux) and have OVMF running as the guest
uEFI OS in this VM.  A bridge and taps connect the qemu e1000 NIC device to
my physical networks and the whole thing manages to PXE boot ipxe from a
real tftp server into the VM.

However, the snponly ipxe seems to interfere with the edk2 stack and once
ipxe has handed control over to a shell, ping (built into the shell) and
various apps act funny (eg. ping packets go out, replies are sent and seen
via wireshark on the qemu tap, but the replies don't make it back up the
edk2 stack).  PXE boot the shell directly and ping works fine.

I hadn't had this problem on real hardware with previous uEFI
implementations, so I'm a bit confused why it shows up now in this VM.

I am right in expecting the snponly ipxe to work nicely with existing
network devices right?  Or perhaps this usage impacts the question above?

Last, at what point does snp ipxe plug into the uEFI stack?  Is the ipxe
dhcp config separate from the EFI dhcp client?  (I have noticed two
different IP addresses being allocated for this same NIC/MAC)  Could ipxe
use more of the existing protocols now that edk2 is more stable?