[ipxe-devel] menu & serial console

Leo Baltus Leo.Baltus at omroep.nl
Tue Mar 5 21:00:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

I tried using iPXE over a serial line using a menu.
The output looks garbled and input like using arrow keys does not seem to work.
Is this a tested and supported set-up?

Here what I patched:

src/config/console.h
-//#define	CONSOLE_PCBIOS		/* Default BIOS console */
-//#define	CONSOLE_SERIAL		/* Serial port */
+#define	CONSOLE_PCBIOS		/* Default BIOS console */
+#define	CONSOLE_SERIAL		/* Serial port */

src/config/serial.h
-#undef	COMPRESERVE
+#define	COMPRESERVE

and how I §compiled:
cd src
make bin/undionly.kpxe

The menu:

menu Please choose an operating system to boot
item shell    Enter iPXE shell
item info     Show info
item config   Edit config
item exit     Exit to BIOS
item --gap Operating systems:
item --key f fedora   Fedora Linux
choose --default exit --timeout 30000 target && goto ${target}

I used console redirection to serial by the BIOS.

I get the impression that not all escape-codes are received unharmed by my
terminal (xterm and OSX Terminal).

Maybe there is an simplified menu I could use to avoid curses-like screens
like grub's dumb mode?

--
Leo Baltus, internetbeheerder                         /\
NPO ICT Internet Services                            /NPO/\