[ipxe-devel] ipxe vs gpxe

Yadin Flammer yxf4 at psu.edu
Thu Jun 13 20:54:15 UTC 2013

In addition to my last email, I actually created an ipxe CD to compare
it to gpxe and found that ipxe doesn't work where gpxe works great.  The
first issue is that ipxe looks at various network devices in the wrong
order, so it has to time out on wireless before going ahead on
ethernet.  gpxe goes straight to ethernet so it starts much faster.
Once you choose a PXE image to boot from, ipxe is unable to actually
boot, it can't download the image and never progresses.  gpxe instantly
pulls it and starts the boot process.

All around it so far seems ipxe has a lot of issues and is not
functional compared to it's predecessor.  Since ipxe doesn't seem to
work at all, I continue to wonder about a way to get gpxe onto USB as a
bootable media from the ISO.

Any advice is appreciated.

   Yadin Flammer - Systems Administrator
   College of Arts&  Architecture, Penn State University
   228 Borland Building              Office Phone: 814-865-0990
   University Park, PA 16802         Dept. Phone:  814-865-1571
   Email: yxf4 at psu.edu               Dept. Fax:    814-863-6227