[ipxe-devel] reusing dhcp address obtained by nic pxe rom

Thomas Mieslinger miesi at pc-h.de
Mon Jul 22 08:24:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

because my dhcp pools regularly run out of ip addresses, I'd like to
stop the mass use of IP Addresses during network installation.

The first one is used be the nic pxe rom (sorry it is the stock one from
intel/broadcom)

The second one is request by ipxe to load the kernel

The third one is requested by the kernel when it starts the network
interfaces.

Has anyone of you been in this situation? Have you tried fighting it with

one-lease-per-client true;
allow duplicates;

and drastically reduced default-lease-time and/or max-lease-time and/or
dynamic-bootp-lease-length?

Is there any chance to get the ip which was used to download ipxe within
ipxe?

Thanks for your insight

Thomas