[ipxe-devel] iPXE does not boot OpenBSD ELF kernel

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Thu Feb 28 23:34:21 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
| Hi,
|
| I'm trying to boot an OpenBSD kernel from iPXE, it's bsd.rd from
| OpenBSD
| 5.2 amd64 (ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.2/amd64/bsd.rd).
|  'file'
| says:
|
|   bsd.rd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV),
|   statically linked, not stripped
|
| iPXE (undionly.kkpxe) says:
|
|   iPXE 1.0.0+ (3cfb) -- Open Source Network Boot Firmware --
|   http://ipxe.org
|   Features: HTTP iSCSI DNS TFTP AoE bzImage ELF MBOOT PXE PXEXT Menu
|
|   iPXE> set use-cached 1
|   iPXE> dhcp net0
|   DHCP (net0 12:34:56:78:90:ab) using cached
|   iPXE> chain tftp://<server>/openbsd/bsd.rd
|   tftp://<server>/openbsd/bsd.rd... ok
|   Could not boot: Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e008001)
|   iPXE>
|
| I reported this on the forum
| (http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=6831) and was told that
| this
| might be a bug.  Is anyone able to help with this?  Thanks!
|
| I've also just tried booting a 32 bit kernel, and this gives a
| different
| error:
|
|   Could not boot: Requested memory not available
|   (http://ipxe.org/46038101)
|

| Alex

This is how I boot OpenBSD

LABEL RCG_OpenBSD-Current
  LINUX memdisk
  APPEND iso
  ## This will get you 5.2-RELEASE  #INITRD http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.2/amd64/cd52.iso
  ## This will get you 5.2-CURRENT (RECOMMENDED)
  INITRD http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64/cd52.iso

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw