[ipxe-devel] result of rom and usb differs (realtek Gbit)

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Fri Dec 27 10:11:31 UTC 2013

On 26.12.2013 18:15, Oliver Rath wrote:
> i have some strange result here: Im starting ipxe-script with dhcp. If i
> using my ipxe.usb binary, this step seems to work well.

Could you include the script? Is it embedded or chainloaded?

> But if I flash the same code (built as bin/10ec8168.rom) he doesnt get
> an ip address. Furthermore, it seems, that the mac-address differs now.

I would try to perform a packet trace, http://ipxe.org/howto/pcap, in
both cases and see how the DHCP transaction differs in the two
situations. I'd also build with DEBUG=realtek to see if the two
different modes actually end up with different MAC addresses. I'd also
try both warm boot and cold boot (unplug power) to see if that makes a
difference. There could be some form of odd reset issue. We've seen it
before.

> In the script, while not getting an ip, i try starting sanboot locally
> (0x80), but then he gets into an endless ipxe-loop.

That sounds like a typical chainloading error. See
http://ipxe.org/howto/chainloading for details on how to get around it.

> is this possible or do Im going wrong?

Maybe, maybe not. Right now it's a bit up in the air. ;)

Happy holidays!

-- Robin