[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] Problem using gPXE to load PXELINUX with HTTP server

Allan Wu allwu at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Dec 9 21:17:20 UTC 2013

Thanks a lot Michael and Gene!

I am loading gPXE from USB using the ./bin/gpxe.usb.

I tried with using the gPXE script Michael suggests, but gPXE reported "no
specific image to load" at 'boot'. When I use 'boot vmlinuz', then there's
the old errors of not finding RAMDISK and unspecified root. Does it mean I
have the wrong kernel or initrd image? The 'vmlinuz' file is from the /boot
folder, and the 'diskless_initrd.img' is made by dracut.

I will try some of the PXELINUX version suggested by Gene, and I already
switched to iPXE. Meanwhile, I still have one question which seems to be
common to both gPXE and iPXE.

Because I'm using static IP, I think due to our network setup, it takes the
gateway some time to recognize the new IP every time it is set. The result
is, when I use the script to setup static IP, the following fetching for
image will have a connection timeout, because either the DNS or the gateway
hasn't responded yet. So every time I have to Ctrl+B and manually type the
image fetching command again after the connection timeout, and that will
work. In iPXE, it seems to quit the moment the connection failure occurs
and I don't have opportunities to go into command line. So my question is,
is there a command or some way to do a sleep() to wait for the IP address
to be ready and then start to fetch the image? Or maybe a way to set a
number of retries for the fetching command?

Thanks,
Allan

--
Di Wu (Allan)