[ipxe-devel] add version to zImage

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Mon Dec 2 10:22:28 UTC 2013

Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Tue, 2013/11/26 19:35:
> Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Tue, 2013/11/26 15:35:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > This adds the version string to zImage, it is referenced in multiboot
> > header. The string can be extracted later, for example  by the magic tool
> > file.
> >
> > Patch is attached, it builds and boots for me. I hope I did not break
> > anything.
>
> Probably it is better to have the termination separated... Updated patch is
> attached.
>
> BTW, do you prefer patches via mail or pull requests on github?

Oh, just another note... If you see something like this (without my patch) in
file output:

Linux kernel x86 boot executable zImage, version \353FHdrS\007\002, RW-rootFS,

It is a bug in file's magic definition. This has been fixed in version
control and will be in file 5.16.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)