[ipxe-devel] [Realtek]: Possible bug - cannot load ipxe when intel-sata controller is set to RAID

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 16:45:34 UTC 2013

Hello Joshua,

On Apr 15, 2013, at 11:52 AM, "Joshua C." <joshuacov at gmail.com> wrote:

2013/4/15 Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk>

<snip>

> Did you try the patch from my previous message?

I'll try the patch later today (still at work). Yes, I've enabled some
extra features. Actually I wanted a substituation of the stock pxe-stack
with all possible features. I'll post my customizations later on with the
result from the test.

I've actually had this problem that you're having, but with the BIOS on my
Gigabyte X58 board (Same NIC and storage devices as you).  I started with
two or three different, custom BIOS files, the appropriate tools, and went
to work.  Out of all of them, two of the images had *updated *Intel RAID
ROM files--which were a tiny bit smaller (IIRC)--but it never made any
difference.  Loading iPXE at boot would prevent the RAID firmware from
doing its thing.

I recall wondering if it was possible to somehow invoke the option rom
through a bootloader... likely a very cumbersome solution :P

I do hope that patch works as I'd really like to mod some more BIOSes.. :)

Best of luck to you, and thanks for testing this out!

Cheers,
Andrew