[ipxe-devel] Entering String in menu-context possible?

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Mon Apr 15 13:30:38 UTC 2013

On 13/04/13 12:35, Robin Smidsrød wrote:
> On 12.04.2013 14:58, Michael Brown wrote:
>> What you can't (easily) do is recreate the horizontally scrollable edit boxes
>> used by "config" and "login".  It would be viable to expose this functionality
>> as a separate command, e.g. "edit".  It would be difficult to expose the various
>> plausible ways of exiting an edit box (e.g. tab, up/down keys); you would
>> probably be limited to either success (user pressed Enter) or failure (user
>> pressed Ctrl-C or Escape).
>
> As long as you can include a label, I think only Enter/Escape should be
> enough.

Labels would be created using "echo" (with embedded ANSI sequences as
necessary for cursor movement etc).

Since menus are not automatically cleared from the screen, you could
also plausibly leave the menu in place and create an edit box towards
the bottom of the screen, or replace the current menu row with an edit box.

>> Total cost would be (estimated) around 300 bytes,
>> which is quite substantial.  Is it worth doing?
>
> Could this be made a conditional compilation option that is excluded on
> ROM builds by default?

It could, but I try to avoid doing that.