[ipxe-devel] Regression with commit fc87adb46c1395b09302085e9d15fcd8ab3c31fe - [efi] Expose downloaded images via EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL on IMAGE_EFI

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 22:46:41 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 10 Apr 2013 14:41:43 Joshua C. wrote:
> One last thing (I'm sorry for hijacking this thread):
> Based on your post here:
> http://lists.ipxe.org/pipermail/ipxe-devel/2011-December/001062.html which
> image should I build - efi, efirom, efidrv? Can I concatenate this image
> with the pcbios-image and will this image be automatically loaded when the
> system is started in uefi mode?
>
> Do you know where I can read more about the differences between those
> images? Do they have the same functionality?

*.efi is "iPXE as an EFI application".  It generates something which you can
run by typing its name in the EFI shell.

*.efidrv is "iPXE as an EFI driver".  It generates something which you can load
using the "load" command from within the EFI shell.

*.efirom is "iPXE as an EFI driver, wrapped up in a ROM image".  It generates
something which you can include within a PCI expansion ROM BAR, and which will
then be loaded automatically when the system is started in UEFI mode.