[ipxe-devel] Regression with commit fc87adb46c1395b09302085e9d15fcd8ab3c31fe - [efi] Expose downloaded images via EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL on IMAGE_EFI

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Apr 9 20:17:02 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

| 2013/4/9 James A. Peltier < jpeltier at sfu.ca >

| | I have iPXE working with both legacy BIOS and EFI machines right
| | now,
| | except that I can't...
|

| How did you do this? Did you use the method Michael described above?

I have a undionly.kpxe chainload from legacy BIOS and I have a snponly.efi that I load based on DHCP option 93. These platforms both run the same iPXE menu bootstrap code and the menus have been abstracted to do the "right thing" based on the platform and architecture.

In DHCP server
============

option arch code 93 = unsigned integer 16;
if option arch = 00:07 {
# UEFI client
next-server mirror.its.sfu.ca;
filename "/snponly.efi";
} else {
# BIOS client
next-server mirror.its.sfu.ca;
filename "/undionly.kpxe";
}

iPXE menu
=========

:windows
goto windows-${bios_efi}

:windows-bios
set base-url ${ufds-base-url}/discovery7
kernel ${ufds-base-url}/wimboot
initrd ${base-url}/bootmgr bootmgr
initrd ${base-url}/boot/bcd BCD
#initrd ${base-url}/boot/fonts/segmono_boot.ttf segmono_boot.ttf
#initrd ${base-url}/boot/fonts/segoe_slboot.ttf segoe_slboot.ttf
#initrd ${base-url}/boot/fonts/wgl4_boot.ttf wgl4_boot.ttf
initrd ${base-url}/boot/boot.sdi boot.sdi
##initrd ${base-url}/sources/boot-${arch}.wim boot.wim
initrd ${base-url}/sources/boot-new.wim boot.wim
boot || goto failed
goto start

:windows-efi
echo You are an EFI system. You are not currently supported!
sleep 10
goto start

NOTE: that ${arch} and ${bios_efi} is set at bootstrap time for each client. This allows me to have one menu entry/system that supports both legacy BIOS and (U)EFI systems. However, they're using an iPXE binary that's for the target platform. What you are asking for is simply not possible.

cpuid --ext 29 && set arch x86_64 || set arch i386
iseq ${platform} efi && set bios_efi efi || set bios_efi bios

--

James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw