[ipxe-devel] ipxe.no-pxedhcp possible in ipxe script?

Joshua Jensen joshua at joshuajensen.org
Mon Sep 17 19:17:30 UTC 2012

The alternative filename and next-server via proxydhcp/filename and
proxydhcp/next-server that some of my subnets set seem to be used over
what I set with just next-server and filename... so I've been setting
those as well.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to accomplish this. I can think
of three possibilities:

1)  What I'm doing now... just setting both sets of variables

2) Use the clear command like this: "clear proxydhcp/filename".
Haven't tested this.

3) Set, if possible, the ISC DHCPd equivalent of "option
ipxe.no-pxedhcp 1" in my embedded script before dhcp, that might work.
 Not sure if this is even possible.

Thanks for shedding any light!

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 24 Aug 2012 23:30:27 Joshua Jensen wrote:
>> I'm booting an ipxe.iso cdrom on remote machines, with this embedded
>> script:
>>
>> #ipxe
>> dhcp
>> chain http://server/pxe/ipxe-script-file
>>
>> The ipxe-script-file allows me to easily change what I want the
>> booting machines to ultimately load, without redistributing new ISO
>> files to a very large and geographically dispersed set of clients.
>> Its contents are thus:
>>
>> set filename http://server/pxe/pxelinux.0
>> chain ${filename}
>>
>> Here is the issue: I'm having issues with ProxyDHCP server on the
>> subnets that some of the booting machines are on.  I don't control
>> those DHCP servers, so I can't set "option ipxe.no-pxedhcp 1" on them.
>>  They are providing alternative filenames that are screwing up my boot
>> process.
>
> From the scripts you've given, it looks as though your boot process should
> already ignore any filename provided by a DHCP or ProxyDHCP server.  In what
> way are the alternative filenames causing problems at present?
>
> Michael

Joshua Jensen
joshua aatttt joshuajensen ddooottt org