[ipxe-devel] UEFI SCT patch

Alexandre Rames arames at solarflare.com
Mon Sep 17 12:45:24 UTC 2012

Hello,

I think the answers to your first three points should interest you, in
particular the 3rd.

Alexandre

On 15/09/12 16:46, Daniel Li wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
> Thanks for your helpful reply,After review your attach file,I am very
> very exicted,and then has some questions,could you help to answer again?
> 1.I can't found the file sfc9000.c in the ipxe project,what is the use
> of this document?Is a new driver and could you tell me the driver
> support machine,if you can send the file to me will best?
sfc9000 and similar files are code files for our NIC, equivalent to
other NIC specific files in src/drivers/net. You can totally ignore that.

> 2.You said you can successfully PXE boot On a real UEFI machine,did
> you used the ipxe project?Did you run under uefi enviroment?could you
> tell me the machine and your made script?which command has been
> run?what method do you use to create image?as i know,if you run
> "chain" or "sanboot" command under uefi shell,you should create a uefi
> image format?
I used the iPXE based UEFI driver for my NIC. The PXE utility is part of
the host machine's software, accessible through the boot manager (F1
menu on boot on my machine).
So it seems this differs from the way you are trying to pxe boot. Have
you checked if your machine provides such a utility via the boot
manager? Note that if it does you need to make sure the driver is loaded
before starting it.
> 3.Your attach show that the *.efi which your built can detected the
> network device,but after my bin-x86_64-efi/82579lm.efidrv can't detect
> network device,as i know,the network device of my Thinkpad T420
> machine is intel.
I detailed in my first email a procedure which I think can be used to
spot which uefi driver to use with your card.
I mentioned 82579lm.efidrv because you listed a device with "computer
vendor is 8086,device id is 1502".
I can't see a matching device in the output of 'pci' you attached, so
82579lm.efidrv is probably not what you need.

 From the output of your 'pci' command attached, I found (following the
procedure in my first email):
ipxe/src/drivers/net $ grep -RHIin "8086" . | grep -i "100f"
./intel.c:844:    PCI_ROM ( 0x8086, 0x100f, "82545em", "82545EM
(Copper)", 0 ),

*So you probably need to build this one:**
**$ make -C src bin-x86_64-efi/**82545em.efidrv*

*And then do check from your uefi that the driver is loaded and is
managing a device.**
**See my first email and (in your uefi shell)   'drivers -?'**  and
'devices -?'**. (*The 'drivers' command has a column listing the number
of devices managed by the drivers.)
> 4.As i know ,the return error code EFI_UNSUPPORTED was showed when
> call efi_create->openprotocol?(), because the controller handle is not
> in the pci hand list.
I don't really understand what you mean by . Anyway if your device is
not managed by your driver it seems normal that the procedure stops at
one point. I'd be concerned about that only if it persists after your
driver successfully manages your device.
> 5.PCI_vm_windows7_x64_under_uefishell.txt was created when i run
> command "pci" under uefi shell.
See answer to 3).
> 6.snponly_boot_failed_under_uefishell.jpg when I run under command:
> fs0:snponly.efi
>       ipxe:chain http://boot.ipxe.org/demo/boot.php
I guess you need to load the correct driver before trying to start
snponly.efi

> 5.Could you help to review two attach documents and point out my mistakes?
> Thanks for your great greate support.
As pointed before try in order:
- building the correct driver
- load it from the uefi shell and CHECK that it manages your device.
- then try pxe booting or other snp utilities.

> Best Regards,
> Daniel Li

Alexandre