[ipxe-devel] New to SAN booting - need help debugging

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sun Sep 2 20:06:16 UTC 2012

On Sunday 02 Sep 2012 19:24:04 Michael wrote:
> Upon reboot, the machine fails to boot.  I think I am running into an issue
> with iPXE, but I am not 100% sure.

Your error message is http://ipxe.org/1d704439 which indicates that the iSCSI
target is reporting a "hardware error".

> Here is the output of tgtadm
> tgtadm --mode target --op show
> Target 1: iqn.2012-09.net.blandford:target00
>     System information:
>         Driver: iscsi
>         State: ready
>     I_T nexus information:
>         I_T nexus: 12
>             Initiator: iqn.2012-09.net.blandford:target00

I'm not familiar with the output from tgtadm, but this looks wrong.  That is
the target IQN; why is it showing up as an "Initiator:"?

Have you specified an explicit iSCSI initiator IQN for iPXE to use?  If so,
check that you aren't using the same IQN for both initiator and target.