[ipxe-devel] Issue with Realtek card and iPXE

Michael vendor-ipxe at kmaclub.com
Sun Sep 2 18:26:32 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have a few boxes that I net boot using gpxe including one box with a
realtek card. Under Linux, it shows up as:

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

Using gpxe 1.0.1, it would fail to boot with the message “initialising
devices…". This is also reflected in the etherboot wiki:
http://etherboot.org/wiki/hardwareissues. However, I used the rom-o-matic
to build a 1.0.1+ version of undionly and it has worked well on this
motherboard for at least a year. I assumed the issue was resolved.

So today, when I upgraded to iPXE, I was a little surprised to see this
error message return.  Does anyone have any suggestions why it would work
in gpxe 1.0.1+, but not with a current version of ipxe?

What is the best way to debug this?