[ipxe-devel] booting XenServer fails with "Segment does not fit into available memory"

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Tue Nov 20 20:38:44 UTC 2012

On 20.11.2012 17:05, Andrew Bobulsky wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Radoslaw Smigielski
> <Radoslaw.Smigielski at eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I am involved in a project of booting XenServer which is an commercial version of xen hypervisor from iPXE.
>>
>> This is how we specydy the kernel, xen hypervisor needs to have passed dom0 (control domain) kernel and initrd of dom0 as arguments:
>>
>> kernel /xen/boot/xen.gz dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0_mem=752M com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga --- /xen/boot/vmlinuz xencons=hvc console=hvc0 console=tty0 answerfile=http://10.0.0.123/xenserver0001answer.php install --- /xen/boot/install.img boot
>
> Going off of the iPXE docs[1], I think the
> syntax you'd want would be more like this (in script format, but you
> can of course type this manually):
>
> #!ipxe
> kernel /xen/boot/xen.gz dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0_mem=752M com1=115200,8n1
> console=com1,vga
> module /xen/boot/vmlinuz xencons=hvc console=hvc0 console=tty0
> answerfile=http://10.0.0.123/xenserver0001answer.php install
> module /xen/boot/install.img
> boot
>
> Alternatively, if iPXE's multiboot support isn't working for you, you
> could try chainloading PXELINUX and running mboot.c32 from there.

My example at https://gist.github.com/2234639#L420 (line 420 of
menu.ipxe) shows how to chainload pxelinux that is on the XenClient CD.
I believe the XenServer CD is fairly similar in design and this should
probably work too.

You could also try to adjust my example of loading VMware from this post
in the forum:
http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=2765&pid=4804#pid4804 I do
believe I had some problems trying to get that to work, which is why I
stick to chaining pxelinux.0 in my own setup now.

Also remember, if you're not using the latest iPXE from git, you should,
as multiple bugfixes has come in during the last few months.

-- Robin