[ipxe-devel] Flash Atheros L1E NIC?

Andrew Savchenko bircoph at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 00:36:00 UTC 2012

Hello Robin,

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 23:35:04 +0100 Robin Smidsrød wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I just checked if the ATL1E was supported, and I was surprised to see
> that it was:
>
> $ src/util/niclist.pl --format csv | grep -i 1969
> Building iPXE NIC list from current directory...
> Fetching http://pciids.sourceforge.net/v2.2/pci.ids into /tmp/pci.ids...
> Building PCI ID map...
> Merging 'official' vendor/device names...
> Sorting NIC list by: bus, ipxe_driver, ipxe_name
> Formatting NIC list in format 'csv' with columns: bus, vendor_id,
> device_id, vendor_name, device_name, ipxe_driver, ipxe_name,
> ipxe_description, file, legacy_api
> pci,1969,1026,"Atheros Communications Inc.","AR8121/AR8113/AR8114
> Gigabit or Fast Ethernet",atl1e,atl1e_26,"Attansic L1E
> 0x1026",src/drivers/net/atl1e.c,no
> pci,1969,1066,"Atheros Communications Inc.","Attansic L2c Gigabit
> Ethernet",atl1e,atl1e_66,"Attansic L1E 0x1066",src/drivers/net/atl1e.c,no
>
> That does indeed seem to indicate that the atl1e should be supported.
> I would suggest you try to use the native driver by booting a USB
> stick before you try and burn it into your NIC's ROM.
>
> Doing the same check for your wireless adapter yields positive results:
>
> $ src/util/niclist.pl --format csv | grep -i 001c
> Building iPXE NIC list from current directory...
> Building PCI ID map...
> Merging 'official' vendor/device names...
> Sorting NIC list by: bus, ipxe_driver, ipxe_name
> Formatting NIC list in format 'csv' with columns: bus, vendor_id,
> device_id, vendor_name, device_name, ipxe_driver, ipxe_name,
> ipxe_description, file, legacy_api
> pci,168c,001c,"Atheros Communications Inc.","AR242x / AR542x Wireless
> Network Adapter (PCI-Express)",ath5k,ath5212e,"Atheros 5212
> PCI-E",src/drivers/net/ath/ath5k/ath5k.c,no
>
> You could try to make bin/19691026--ath5k.rom EMBED=wifi-init.ipxe and
> burn that to your NICs ROM to have support for both devices. Just be
> aware that you'd need to make a custom ipxe script to init the SSID
> before you open the interface and issue the dhcp request. I can't
> exactly remember the syntax, but someone else might be able to chime
> in with that. You'll probably have to strip the binary down to the
> bare minimum to be able to burn both a lan and wlan driver into a
> ROM-suitable size (usually < 64KB).

Thank you for fast reply.

I can build rom image for my NIC, the problem is that I can't burn it:
there are no tools from vendor and there are no generic ROM flashing
tools claiming to support either my NIC or wireless card (I checked
docs for flashrom and uniflash, though I haven't tried them in live).

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko