[ipxe-devel] Unregistered SAN device

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri May 4 11:21:20 UTC 2012

On Friday 04 May 2012 10:44:46 David Steele wrote:
> I have a big problem with iPXE.
>
> I try to set it up to boot from my iSCSI target, on which I plan to install
> Windows 7 later but I have this error:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/28b8bpj.jpg

Try visiting the error URL shown in that picture: http://ipxe.org/2e852001

This will tell you that

  "This error usually indicates that the SAN disk is empty, and does not
   yet contain a bootable operating system."

You are trying to boot from an empty hard disk, which is not possible.

You may want to use the "sanhook" command to connect to the iSCSI target:

  http://ipxe.org/cmd/sanhook

and then start up your Windows 7 installer.  (You haven't yet mentioned how
you are planning to install Windows 7, so I can't tell you which command you
need.)