[ipxe-devel] setting ${next-server} - do not resolve automatically

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Thu Mar 29 09:11:53 UTC 2012

Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> on Thu, 2012/03/29 02:10:
> On Wednesday 28 Mar 2012 17:10:40 Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Wed, 2012/03/28 18:03:
> > > the dhcp option next-server allows to be an ip address or hostname. I
> > > have a setup here I would like to chainboot a kernel with arguments that
> > > include ${next-server}. However as soon as I do that I get the ip
> > > address of the next-server, which does not help me as I have a match a
> > > http virtual host. Is it passible to get ${next-server} as a hostname or
> > > are there any reasons not to get it?
> >
> > Uh, looks like the dhcp server resolves the hostname and returns the ip
> > address to the client. Is that correct?
>
> Yes, that's correct.  iPXE never gets to see the hostname specified in
> dhcpd.conf.
>
> You could use the "server-name" field instead.  In /etc/dhcpd.conf:
>
>   server-name "boot.ipxe.org";

I have only one PXE server, but a lot of dhcp servers pointing to that one.
So I do not want to introduce a new options.

I do it inside the webserver now... Using ${next-server} and rewriting the
request with mod_rewrite as soon as the user agent begins with "iPXE".

> iPXE doesn't have a named setting for server-name, but you can access it as
> DHCP option 66:
>
>   echo ${66}

Nice to know this works as well... Someone should add a hint about that in
settings reference in documentation.
--
Best regards,
Chris