[ipxe-devel] WinPE 3.0, boot with iSCSI target

Marek Salwerowicz marek_sal at wp.pl
Tue Mar 13 23:51:28 UTC 2012

Hi list,

I have a problem with trying to boot WinPE 3.0 (prepared according to:
http://www.gregorystrike.com/2010/01/08/winpe-v3-0-and-microsoft-iscsi-initiator/).
I've prepared it under Win7 Pro.

I have downladed from git repository current tree, prepared the ISO
image of iPXE (under Debian Squeeze)

I have set up the iSCSI target under FreeNAS

After booting my machine from iPXE ISO image i type following commands:

dhcp
set keep-san 1
sanhook --drive 0x80 --no-describe
iscsi:192.168.146.132::::iqn.2012-01.local:win7disk
sanboot --drive 0x81 --no-describe http://10.0.0.1/path.to.WinPE.iso

WinPE stops during boot and displays following message:

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration
data.

When I do not attach iSCSI target and only boot the WinPE iso file,
everything is OK, but (of course) I can't install Windows under my iSCSI
target.

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

--
Regards,
Marek Salwerowicz