[ipxe-devel] [romprefix] Regression within AMI BIOS

Anton D. Kachalov mouse at yandex-team.ru
Wed Jun 27 19:20:58 UTC 2012

Michel,

27.06.2012, 22:13, "Michael Brown" <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk>:

> Could you describe the problem?  Specifically, what do you see on-screen?

Problem was in unconditional reboot after BIOS POST. Last message was: "iPXE (PCI...) starting execution..."

>>  Also, I have a problem on AMI that doesn't support PMM, with ROM bigger
>>  than ~58400 bytes. BIOS complains about:
>
> I don't think there's anything we can do about that.  If the ROM were attached
> to a NIC (rather than embedded within the BIOS) then using a .mrom image might
> help.  As it is, if the BIOS doesn't support PMM then iPXE can't do anything
> to reduce its consumption of option ROM space.

All our Option ROMs has been burned into BIOS ROM. Currently I've found only one Mobo without PMM support. I will look closer to the original PXE ROM. IBA on BIOS w/PMM is complain about PMM support.

Could it be a problem with new layout introduced with this commit to be out of available space?
I'll check unmodified iPXE on BIOS w/PMM to confirm.

Anyway, I will try to pressure Asus to fix the BIOS :)

--
Anton D. Kachalov