[ipxe-devel] [patch] preserve CPU in virtualized environment.

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 02:55:05 UTC 2012

On Thursday 26 Jul 2012 02:56:00 Alessandro Salvatori wrote:
> Michael,
>
>   that doesn't seem to help.
>
> Here are three CPU utilization plots.
>
> What you can observe in the plots is a virtual machine attempting to boot 8
> or 9 times, waiting ~7.5 seconds between attempts then rebooting and trying
> again.

I don't understand how you're seeing such high CPU utilisation during a sleep.

To simplify the test case, could you check the utilisation while doing simply

  sleep 60

with an _unmodified_ build of the current iPXE tree (commit 1f88e9c).

For comparison, I see qemu-kvm using 0% CPU during the "sleep 60".  If you are
getting any other result, then there must be a reason.

Thanks,