[ipxe-devel] [patch] preserve CPU in virtualized environment.

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 12:28:15 UTC 2012

On Monday 16 Jul 2012 10:50:36 Alessandro Salvatori wrote:
> The patch is very simple, and brings the CPU utilization down from 100% to
> 1-3%, while not affecting the throughput in any perceivable way. There
> might be better solutions, but this only took me half an hour to write and
> test, and seemed good enough for us.

Thanks for the patch.  At what point does this help with CPU utilisation?
iPXE will currently use 100% CPU while network operations are in progress, and
should sit mostly idle while waiting for user input (e.g. at the command
line).

I'm not understanding the circumstances in which your patch helps.  Could you
explain?

Thanks,