[ipxe-devel] Feature request: version numbers

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Mon Jul 23 05:26:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 03:33:36AM +0200, Floris Bos / Maxnet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there are any plans to release a "stable iPXE
> version" with an incremented version number in the near future?

I can also use ipxe version number. There are new features added to ipxe
and I have ipxe.iso on my USB key. If I update my ipxe scripts,
they will fail to work on old version. Testing all of these commands
is problematic.

Better should be to chainload newer version of ipxe if required.
Test, if currently running version is older than required version
and chainload another ipxe.

> And if not, would it be possible to at least get the Git release
> number displayed on startup?

Git release number is already displayed on startup in latest git releases.
Just I can't access it from script and it's not incrementing, so it can't
be used to test which version is newer/older.

					SAL