[ipxe-devel] memtest as a PXE NBP

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 13:51:45 UTC 2012

On Sunday 15 Jul 2012 14:02:40 Robin Smidsrød wrote:
> >   http://boot.ipxe.org/memtest.0
>
> I tried to use the precompiled version you made available, and if you
> start it and then press ESC after it has started running it will return
> with a falsy value, which I assume is intended behavior. But if you try
> to start it again (from the same iPXE session), the memtest UI will
> never appear and it will exit with a falsy value after a few seconds.
>
> Are you able to reproduce this problem?

I am unable to reproduce the problem.  Using your script, I am able to exit
and restart memtest multiple times, on both qemu and real hardware.

Incidentally, it is possible to differentiate between "test incomplete" (i.e.
test aborted via ESC before one full cycle completed) and "memory bad"
returns, by using the newly-added ${errno} variable:

  chain memtest.0 && goto memory_good || goto memory_fail
  :memory_fail
  iseq ${errno} 0x1 && goto memory_bad || goto memory_incomplete

(Note that the "iseq" command is likely to change the value of ${errno}; if
you want to preserve ${errno} for multiple tests then you must copy it to
another variable first.)