[ipxe-devel] Error: undefined symbol `_tmp_start' referenced in expression

Andrew Savchenko bircoph at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 09:28:30 UTC 2012

Hello,

>2012/5/1 Joshua C. <joshuacov at ...>:
>> When try to compile bin/10ec8168.lkrn with the latest git as of
>> 01.05.2012 I get the following error:
>>
>>  [AR] bin/blib.a
>> ar: creating bin/blib.a
>>  [LD] bin/10ec8168.tmp
>> arch/i386/scripts/i386.lds:1: undefined symbol `_tmp_start' referenced
>> in expression
>> make: *** [bin/10ec8168.tmp] Error 1
>>

>> I remember seeing this error some days ago but can't recollect when
>> exactly it firs appeared. The realtek driver has been rewritten in the
>> last month so I guess this has something to do with the driver. I have
>> all deps installed (gcc, binutils-devel, make, perl, syslinux, zlib)
>> but cannot figure out how to fix this. Google also didn't help much
>> but pointing to some gcc flags.
>
>It turned out that the linker was the culprit of this. Now it
>compiles fine.

Could you please reveal how exactly you fixed this problem?

I have several Realtek cards and have the very same problem during
build:

[AR] bin/blib.a
ar: creating bin/blib.a
  [LD] bin/19691026.tmp
arch/i386/scripts/i386.lds:1: undefined symbol `_tmp_start'
referenced in expression make: *** [bin/19691026.tmp] Error 1

I tried on different hosts, with different cards (but all of them are
Realtek) and I got this failure everywhere.

Mine ld is from binutils-2.22-r1 (Gentoo). This this the latest
non-masked version in the distribution.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko