[ipxe-devel] iPXE download protocol for EFI export of iPXE protocol niceness

Jarrod Johnson jarrod.b.johnson+ipxe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 16:57:18 UTC 2012

FYI, it's been in our tree for a while and I think I mentioned it before,
but as a reminder, I have the iPXE protocol exported for other efi
applications to use (mostly thanks to Geoff Lywood for initial pass back in
gPXE days).  In conjunction with an elilo patch I submitted to their list
and patches to the ESXi5 boot loader, it enables a behavior analogous to
using undionly.kkpxe chainloading pxelinux.0 for http transfer of payload.
It was a bit more critical for EFI boot mode since EFI ipxe can't directly
chain linux kernels.

The way it currently works is passing through the device ipxe itself
seemingly booted from but with an additional handled protocol attached.
Only tested in 'snponly.efi' style usage.

Here are the five commits the support spanned:

https://git.ipxe.org/vendor/xcat/ipxe.git/commitdiff/d748ebf72206dcde1379b063fd9b533f7572caa5
https://git.ipxe.org/vendor/xcat/ipxe.git/commitdiff/e7b41890bc67350a9f5bcf7291ec859fa2174e26
https://git.ipxe.org/vendor/xcat/ipxe.git/commitdiff/45a51f99fd51b231a388b1db00dfc4b18a5e9e4f
https://git.ipxe.org/vendor/xcat/ipxe.git/commitdiff/a84739023c391fa4d5e3b65a487834bf92552895