[ipxe-devel] Try to free Memory without Signature

Arends, R.R. r.r.arends at hr.nl
Tue Dec 11 08:37:25 UTC 2012

Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 Aug 2012 20:54:48 Jack Neely wrote:
>> I removed line 141 of arch/i386/drivers/net/undi.c and that produced an
>> image that at least got through initializing.  However I get to
>>
>>     iPXE 1.0.0+ (a0587) -- Open Source Network Boot Firmware --
>> http://ipxe.org Features: VLAN HTTP iSCSI DNS TFTP AoE SRP bzImage ELF
>> MBOOT PXE PXEXT Menu
>>
>> and the cursor flashes on the next line.  There is no further progress.
>> I built with
>>
>>     make EMBED=../../PXE-all.ipxe bin/ipxe.lkrn
>>
>> and my embedded script looks like:
>>
>>     #!ipxe
>>     # To build: cd ipxe/src
>>     #           make EMBED=path/to/here bin/ipxe.lkrn
>>
>>     :retry_dhcp
>>
>>     dhcp || goto retry_dhcp
>>     chain tftp://pxe.domain.com/pxelinux.0
>>
>> I get the feeling I just removed any support for the network device.
>> ;-)
>
> If you were relying on that UNDI driver, then yes, in which case your only
> viable solution is to wait for the bnx2 driver update to be merged.

Any update on this? I'm having the same issue with an HP DL360 G6 machine.
When booting PXE ROM -> ipxelinux.0 -> vesamenu.c32 -> ipxe.lkrn

I'm doing it this way because after the ipxe.lkrn i'm chaining to sccm, and the ipxe.lkrn sets the user-class different so that we can have the dhcp point to a new next-server (wds) when ipxe.lkrn does the second dhcp.
But that second dhcp is never done goes of the above error 'Try to free Memory without Signature'.

Any way to try out the new bnx2 driver in the above method of booting, to work around this issue?

Rgds,

Rene