[ipxe-devel] Can't revert 6324bd commit

Thomas Miletich thomas.miletich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 23:53:01 UTC 2012

What Shao was trying to say is that this is sometimes impossible.

Code is built and extended on top of earlier code, with the
expectation of that code still being there to function. You can't
always remove some of the older code while still expecting the newer
code to work.

As a more specific example imagine this:
There is a commit that introduces IPv4 support to iPXE. Then there's
another commit that adds TCP support to iPXE while utilizing the
earlier IPv4 code. Then there's a third commit adding HTTP support
which in turn requires the TCP code from the previous commit.

Now if you try to revert the code that added IPv4 support obviously
the TCP and HTTP support will break also.

In your case some of the code that came after 6324bd needs the code
added in 6324bd to be in place. You can't revert 6324bd alone.

On another note reverting 6324bd is only a workaround and should not
actually be required. Is there a new firmware version available for
that card?

Thomas