[ipxe-devel] [1c838002] memtest86+.bin vs. memtest86.bin?

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 22:07:56 UTC 2012

On Thursday 16 Aug 2012 21:46:05 Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	AIUI, the header of memtest86+.bin somehow fails to meet the
> 	multiboot.c criteria, but I don't quite understand those.  Also
> 	a bit suspicious is that memtest86+_multiboot.bin fails with the
> 	same error, for which multiboot_load_raw () is listed as the
> 	only source.
>
> 	Any suggestions?

I would suggest using the PXE NBP version of memtest: memtest.0.  This isn't
merged upstream yet, but you can get the source from

  http://git.ipxe.org/people/mcb30/memtest.git/shortlog/refs/heads/pxe

or a prebuilt binary version from

  http://boot.ipxe.org/memtest.0

The advantage of using memtest.0 is that you can exit back to iPXE without
rebooting, and the exit status will reflect whether or not the test was
successful.  You can also specify a maximum number of passes after which the
test will automatically exit.  For example:

  chain http://boot.ipxe.org/memtest.0 passes=1 && goto passed || goto failed