[ipxe-devel] question about memory in ipxe

Levente LEVAI levail at aviatronic.hu
Sat Aug 11 15:11:37 UTC 2012

Dear Michael,

Thank you for enlightening me.
> In general, be aware of the size constraints for both code and data.  For
> reference, the TCP stack is 3.1kB, the Realtek driver is 2.8kB, the script
> interpreter is 0.9kB.  Any code you add should be looking at a similar code-
> size budget.
I know that there are severe size constraints on the code, that is
why I think a more powerful scripting engine would be a good thing.
I'm planning to create something like FORTH. Probably not a
full blown FORTH interpreter but something that makes it possible
to add user interface and boot logic without need of more fancy
commands.

Another issue that I would like to solve (and is related to memory
usage) is to add POST method to the http layer, something that I
already missed when I tried to pass detailed hardware information
to my boot scripts on the server.

Levente