[ipxe-devel] ProxyDHCP RFC?

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:24:48 UTC 2012

Thanks Martin!

I was hoping I didn't have to read through that behemoth, but have
been poking at it throughout the day today.  Seeing how it works now,
it looks more like ProxyDHCP really just "piggybacks" on... um...
"legitimate" DHCP traffic. Literally sitting on a subnet and sniffing
out PXE-based DHCPDISCOVER traffic, and broadcasting alongside the
corresponding DHCPOFFERs.  Kinda neat.  The biggest difference seems
to be that ProxyDHCP sends null IP addresses.

Basically, it seems that it's a full DHCP implementation without all
the bookkeeping that address management requires.  Totally makes sense
why there wouldn't be a ProxyDHCP-specific RFC.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Andrew Bobulsky