[ipxe-devel] Win7 ? [Re: Booting/installing FreeDOS from iSCSI]

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Sun Apr 1 00:04:45 UTC 2012

Hi Robin!

> [..]
Thank you for the info. I thought, that freedos has to be iscsi-capable
to be bootable or you need some memdisk or sth like this. Will try this
out as fast as possible.

In your script is a win7-installpoint, too. Were you able to realize it?
I can boot a winpe-3.0 (with iscsi-capabilities, but ich wasnt able to
install win7 via setup.exe command to an iscsi target. I always get the
message

"/This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure
that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu/"

I sanhooked the iscsi-drive  to 0x80 and booted the WinPE-disk on 0x81:

sanhook --drive 0x80
iscsi:192.168.172.33::::iqn.2012-03.dmi-win7direkt-liotarget || shell
sanboot --drive 0x81 --no-describe
iscsi:192.168.172.33::::iqn.2012-03.dmi-win7pe-liotarget || shell

I have no idea, what the reason is for this. I see the iscsi disk, it is
formatted correctly (taken from an original install). The network-card
of the Client is an e1000e Gigabit Card, the nic of the server
(ubuntu-linux with lnux-iscsi-target) is an Atheros AR8131 Gbit card.

WinXP had no problem to be installed on the iscsi-target (and booted fine).

Regards,
Oliver