[ipxe-devel] missing commands

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 15:36:14 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011 15:41:16 Andrew Bobulsky wrote:
> While iPXE does contain and support those commands, they're often left
> /#undef/ined in src/config/general.h.  I believe that the reason for
> doing so is to keep compiled size down for ROM-based iPXE deployments.
>
> "time" and "reboot" are two of these such commands, though browsing
> the git log, I see that Michael has put "sleep" in by default; cheers
> to that!
>
> You can get a quick idea of what is and isn't available here, with the
> commands you're interested in starting at line 123:
> https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/blob/bf2da3122b988cd277da435ee76bc35ad438e8af
> :/src/config/general.h
>
> On a related note, the documentation doesn't state that these commands
> need to be enabled, and perhaps it should.  I remember being confused
> the first time I tried to "sleep" and got an error back from the CLI

I've updated the documentation for the commands that aren't enabled by default
to mention the build options in config/general.h:

    http://ipxe.org/cmd/reboot
    http://ipxe.org/cmd/time
    (and others)

Anyone have any strong thoughts on whether or not "reboot" should be included
by default?  Total cost is only 65 bytes, so if at least one person thinks
it's a good idea, I'll do it!  :)