[ipxe-devel] VirtualBox WDS Issues

Clifroy Henry buysomesocks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 21:16:13 UTC 2011

I've now moved the initiator to an physical device and have noted some
things. One device had a Broadcom based NIC and the other an Intel. On
initial boot of the Broadcom it hung up while trying to connect to the
target and gave me the same error as the VM. I switched to the Intel NIC
and it booted fine but then I got "WdsClient: An error occurred while
obtaining an IP address from the dhcp server......." but ipconfig shows a
valid IP.

I switched back to the Broadcom NIC, booted up and it got to the the
install prompts just fine. That is when I noticed that I forgot to
configure option 17 for the Broadcom MAC address. I removed option 17 from
the Intel reservation and it booted to the install prompts as well.

I tried to manually hook into the target, which works, and tftp the WDS
files but that results in the same DHCP error as above.

Googling the issue seems to come up with a resolution of enabling STP on my
switch but my switch is unmanaged. I can see when the link goes down and
comes back up on the Intel machine while the installation manager is
booting. I even went so far as to remove the switch and connect the VM host
and the initiator together but still no success.